Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering
From February 2013 to 12 January 2018
CICECO, University of Aveiro
Master degree in Chemical Engineering
From September 2005 to July 2010
Faculty of Engineering University of Porto (FEUP)
Since April 2021 at CICECO, University of Aveiro
· Simulated Moving Bed separation of antibodies.
· Development of Machine Learning models for the prediction of diffusivities.
· Supercritical fluid extraction.
Post-Doc Researcher, Amorim Cork Project
From July 2020 to March 2021 at CICECO, University of Aveiro
· Working on the removal of TCA (main responsible for the cork taint in wine) from cork by supercritical fluid extraction.
· Providing scientific support in the procurement and setup of a major supercritical extraction unit at Amorim Cork, and in writing an European Patent on this innovative process.
Post-Doc Researcher, Multibiorefinery Project
From March 2018 to June 2020 at CICECO, University of Aveiro
· Worked on the extraction of valuable compounds from agroforestry and food industry by-products using supercritical fluid extraction.
· Developing Artificial Intelligence models for the prediction of diffusion coefficients in liquid and supercritical systems.
From February 2013 to January 2018 at CICECO, University of Aveiro
· Worked on the separation and purification of bioactive compounds by simulated moving bed (SMB) chromatography.
· Synthesized functional polymers to selectively separated bioactive compounds.
· Designed and assembled a laboratory scale SMB chromatography unit.
· Developed a SMB simulator program in MATLAB capable of predicting the separation performance.
· Proposed a new optimization strategy for SMB processes based in statistical analysis.
From December 2010 to January 2013 at CICECO, University of Aveiro
· Worked on the modeling of ion exchange equilibrium, mainly in the scope of water treatment.
· Developed a model to predict activity coefficients in ion exchange systems using Artificial Neural Networks.
· Worked on the development of a biomass-based polyol production process (EcoPolyol Project).
Since September 2021 at University of Aveiro
· Otimização e Síntese de Processos, Mestrado em Engenharia Química, Universidade Aveiro.
· Reatores Químicos Multifásicos, Mestrado em Engenharia Química, Universidade Aveiro.
Consulting services for Amorim Cork
· Provided scientific support for the development of a new technology and the design/commissioning of the prototype and industrial unit.
· Filing an European Patent on the new technology developed.
· Writing and submitting a national project grant proposal.
Consulting services for Novarroz
· Worked to solve problems related with improper storage of rice grains and optimized ventilation strategies.
· Developed a program to assist operators in setting proper ventilation in rice silos given ambient temperature and humidity conditions.
Supervising and mentoring
· Supervision of 3 Master Theses projects of the Integrated Master in Chemical Engineering at University of Aveiro.
Organization of an international scientific conference
13th International Chemical and Biological Engineering Conference (CHEMPOR 2018)
· CHEMPOR 2018 is an international scientific conference in the fields of Chemical and Biological Engineering which, in 2018, was organized by the University of Aveiro and Ordem dos Engenheiros.
· I was a member of a five person team responsible for the organization of the conference.
Collaboration in teaching activities
Course: Engenharia Avançada das Reacções Químicas (5th year, MIEQ, UA)
· Collaboration and assistance on the classes, which cover advanced modeling of chemical reactions using numerical methods and MATLAB.
Web design and development
· Created my research group website (www.egichem.com), composed by a public section and a private area that provides inventory and lab management tools.
· Created this website as well as several other projects, which include a programming blog and an open-source chromatographic modeling suite.
Over 8 years experience in laboratory work. Experience with chromatographic processes, cyclic adsorption processes, and analytical/characterization techniques such as HPLC and spectroscopy.
Robust programming experience in MATLAB and Python. Experience with SQL databases, VBA (for Excel) and LaTeX typesetting.
Large experience in the modeling and simulation of several processes using both phenomenological and Artificial Intelligence models, as well as application of chemical process simulator Aspen Plus.
Experience in the optimization of engineering processes by applying numerical optimization algorithms and statistical analysis tools such as Design of Experiments and Response Surface Methodologies (including software Design Expert, Statistica and JMP).
Statistical software SPSS, Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Project, Visio), vector design with Inkscape, Windows and Linux operating systems.
Journal Articles () | Book Chapters () | Communications ()
IS Azenha, JPS Aniceto, DP Ribeiro, A Mendes, CM Silva. Reversed phase chromatographic separation and downstream precipitation of lupane- and oleanane-type triterpenoids: experiments and modeling based on the method of moments, Separation and Purification Technology, 2021, 260 118208.
IS Azenha, JPS. Aniceto, CA Santos, A Mendes, CM Silva. Enhanced separation of bioactive triterpenic acids with a triacontylsilyl silica gel adsorbent: from impulse and breakthrough experiments to the design of a simulated moving bed unit, Separation and Purification Technology,2020, 248 116991.